Thursday, February 18, 2010

7 Year's Ago

This is Doug

Seven Years ago today was the best day of my life. We have never written down the story so here it is!

I started out the day by playing golf with my Marine Corps buddies for a Presidents Day Tournament just outside Carson City NV. After the round my wonderful Fiance Mindy Whitney picked me up from the course. We drove to the court house in Carson City. Sitting outside the court house Mindy started to get cold feet and wasn't sure if she wanted to get married. She made me call my mother and tell her we were eloping. My mom was ok with it and told us she was happy for us.

Mindy had already broke off our engagement four or five times. The day before we drove up from Las Vegas with all of her things in the back of my Jimmy. I was done being rejected so in the parking lot I told Mindy if we didn't get married that day I was going to leave her in the parking lot with all of her stuff. (I don't know if I really could have done that!) But luckily we went in the court house and picked up our Marriage License right before it closed. They gave us a list of on call ministers that would be willing to marry us. After calling a couple we got a hold of Reverend Brown. We went to his house and with his wife as the witness we were married. His house was a double wide trailer in Carson City. Mindy was wearing a black skirt and black shirt and I was wearing black slacks with a shirt and tie.

We didn't have real rings because Mindy went through 5 different engagement rings and I wasn't going to buy her another one until we were married. The ring we had for me was stolen by Mindy's sister so we wouldn't get married. (Don't worry Kim we forgive you.) We used Mindy's Grandmother's rings to get married. After our little ceremony we drove into Reno and went to the jewelry store and purchased the original ring I got for Mindy when we were first engaged. We also purchased a cheap ring to serve as a filler for me.

After that we drove back to my base outside of Bridgeport CA and spent our first night together in the Barracks. Yep very romantic and I'll never hear the end of that one!

Despite all the odds and the doubters Mindy and I are still together. We are happily married or at least I'm happy. The day wasn't ideal but it has turned out to be one of the best days of my life because I have my wonderful wife to show for it.

Mindy I love you and I'm so thankful you didn't get out of that car. Thank you for sticking it out and I look forward to spending eternity with you!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story. You guys always seem so perfect together. Mindy seems so devoted to you that I never would have guessed that she ever told you no, or maybe not. :o)

    ReplyDelete